Tag Archives: dyed fabric

Moda Scrap Bags…Part 2.

Well I haven’t gotten the quilt top together but thought I’d post a couple pictures of the fabrics I dyed yesterday to use as backing and binding for the quilt. These were colours that I mixed up myself from primaries.

But first, from the Waldie kitchen…


Pantry organized with Tupperware modular mates.

I’ve gone full circle when it comes to Tupperware. When I first started out I thought it was the greatest thing but the problem is storing the stuff when it’s not in use as it does take up cupboard space. Now with all of the environmental concerns I’m trying to kick the Ziploc bag habit because I must admit that I’m a Ziploc bag junkie. Now I’ve gone back to the Tupperware containers and redone my kitchen pantry having about 2/3′s of it in modular mates. The idea being I will try to buy at the bulk food store and cut back on pre-packaged goods. To be honest it’s probably more expensive doing it this way but at least I’m doing my bit for the ecology and for once my pantry is organized instead of a big jumble of food.

I’ve also turned into a thrift store junkie. LOL, the idea behind this is at least if I’m going to buy something it’ll be recycled and less expensive to boot. Anyhow I’ve picked up a few older Tupperware pieces and one that I’ve lusted after came up for grabs at the local Value Village. It is the gelatin mold and I just had to try it out.


Jello and fruit mold using Tupperware.

And here are the pictures of the dyed material.


Lemon yellow MX-8G and turquoise MX-G.

Lemon yellow doesn’t like to play with other colours I don’t know why maybe it strikes first but this was supposed to be a green and white parfait but I guess I used to much dye so no white patches and the yellow seems to have settled out except in a couple of spots so now it looks like a lime green – yellow parfait but all is well since green and yellow are in the quilt top.


Orange created from lemon yellow and mixing red MX-5B.

This was paler to start off with. I ignored the little voice in my head that told me to double the amount of dye to get a deep bold orange so I ended up having to re-dye the piece. The orange in the first dye job matched but didn’t give the quilt that zing I wanted that the second dye job did.


Spring fever remnants with deep orange to be used for binding the quilt.

And the last photo is a piece of material that I dyed for one of my upcoming swaps that is an exchange of fat eighths using flower colours.


Dharma’s wisteria.

I admit that this photo isn’t true to colour in that it’s darker. It didn’t matter how I tinkered in Photoshop I couldn’t come up with the right shade. As far as I’m concerned wisteria is a purple flower and the colour sample on the Dharma site shows it as a light purple shade but twice now I’ve used this dye and it’s come up with being mainly a pale blue with hints of light purple undertones. Very pretty but not what I expected.

Karen

More Scarves

I’ve been busy these past couple of weeks working on some scarves to give away for charity. I’d picked up some yarn last year at the dollar store; one of those finds that you just happen upon when the store has gotten in an odd-lot shipment. This was some “eyelash” yarn in variegated colours and I thought for a couple of bucks I’d give it a try. The first ball I used I cast-on 22 stitches but somehow ended up with 24 – easy to do with eyelash yarn. I continued knitting to the end of the ball at which point I realised it wasn’t going to work out so I started over with a cast-on of 15 stitches. Its amazing the difference a few stitches will make and the scarf ended up an acceptable length at two balls of yarn. My chiropractor’s office is sponsoring a family this Christmas and when I asked what was needed scarves were on the list so I’m happy and I hope the girls in the family enjoy the scarves.Two scarfs
Scarves made with eyelash yarn.

I used up the last of my leftover indigo dye on a yard piece thinking to make this into some kind of tote. I have visions of cutting out the pieces and then doing some kind of Shiva paintstik pattern on the material – similar to the one I did a couple of posts ago.

I have to admit to being inspired by the beautiful purses created by Catherine over on Calidore, she has some great ideas; I just haven’t found anything I like as well as the ones she has done. Oh well, the idea is to do up a few totes to be used as recyclable shopping bags and give them to my two daughters as part of their Christmas presents.Indigo fabric
Indigo fabric waiting to be turned into a tote.

One last thing I thought I’d post a picture of is a kitchen oven towel I finished yesterday. I’m sure most people have seen these things at bazaars everywhere but it does make a quick “I’m thinking of you” Christmas present. The idea is to take a kitchen towel and cut it in half. Sew along the cut edge with a zigzag stitch to re-enforce the edge for more strength – you could also serge it. Then take some matching yarn and crochet along the top.  To start off, use a tiny crochet hook (the kind used for dollies) to poke holes along the edge for your base row.  After the initial row is created switch to a larger hook for the second row. You work about an inch or two in your favourite stitch and then begin to decrease evenly along the rows until you have about six or seven stitches left for your tab. I make the tab long enough that when folded over it will fit around a stove handle. About two rows before the end skip a couple of stitches in the middle of the row to leave an opening for the button; don’t forget to pick up the missed stitches on the next row.  These instructions are pretty general but it’s just one of those things you pick up and do, you don’t really need to count stitches you just eyeball it. One kitchen towel will make two oven towels.
Christmas towel
Kitchen oven towel.

Karen