Well with all of the snow yesterday I felt inspired to do my snow-dyeing, that and it was a good excuse “not” to do any housework. It had also occured to me that this might be a good technique to use to dye the backing for my unfinished quilter’s garden quilt top. I’d been putting this off for well over a half a year because I hadn’t really decided on the dyes to use (I wanted to match the fabric) and because I was a little unsure about dyeing that much fabric for a queen-sized quilt in a parfait. It occured to me that using the snow-dyeing method I’d have more control over where I placed the dye than tossing it in a garbage bag or putting it in a bin. I’d also come to the conclusion that I wasn’t going to match the dye to the fabric colours so I might as well go ahead.
Quilter’s Garden – pattern and fabric by Lynette Jensen.
Having mailed away the two vase parfaits I did the other day I decided that I would do another one up for myself because I liked the colours in it.
Cerulean blue, grecian rose, avocado and ivory (light) vase parfait.
I also decided to create another snow parfait only this time I’d wondered what would happen if I just squirted the dyes on randomly back and forth instead of putting the colours in blobs.
Cerulean blue, grecian rose, avocado and ivory (light) snow parfait.
The dye I used was the same dye but it’s interesting how differently the two pieces of fabric turned out.
Well the snow was beginning to melt so I began to get the larger piece of fabric ready to be dyed. I had to do this in the bathtub so what I did was to scrunch the material up and put it onto two large bin lids, which had been propped up on other containers in the bathtub. I then began the process of layering snow and dye.
Scrunched material loosely tied to keep material from floppin over into tub.
After the snow had melted I had the problem of leaving it overnight as this piece of fabric was too large to microwave so I lifted the fabric and put old dye towels underneath the fabric to absorb the left-over dye that had puddled underneath the fabric on the lids. I then tossed the fabric into a plastic bin and covered it and then washed out the next morning.
Material hanging from the shower curtain still damp hence a bit darker then when dry. You don’t get the aspect ratio but this piece is queen-sized.
The test piece that I had done didn’t really show the olive so when I made the dye up for this larger piece of material I added an extra teaspoon of dye powder to my solution and was careful not to muddy my colours so I’m much happier with how this larger piece turned out.
Dried quilt backing on bed – it’s pink!
All in all the experience with snow has been a positive one. While the first piece I did was okay I really like the effect I get with placing the snow on top of the fabric and then squirting the dye on afterwards. The pieces remind me of flowers of the impressionistic era in painting.