Well I’ve been very busy this past week working on gardening. I’m almost done as today (hopefully) will see the last of the beds dug and some tubers planted – big leafy things – the name of which I can’t remember but I’ll be sure to post a picture when they’re up.
I planted red geraniums and yellow marigolds in the front bed. I also planted some purple flowers that I haven’t a clue what they are. They look like a cross between a daisy and a chrysanthemum. The hubby and I had put in some mulch, it’s a bit too orange for my taste but hopefully it will fade as the summer progresses. The front is very colourful at the moment. The side of the house it is very hot and receives little rain so I put in some portulagas since those flowers do well in hot sun.
Yesterday I finished planting the containers on the deck with marigolds, impatiens, alyssum and another small trailing purple flower whose name eludes me at the moment. I then spruced up the two beds in front of the deck and finished planting the rest of the leftover flowers.
Ivy geranium, a very different looking one at least to me.
I worked on helping my husband build the frame for a new raised bed. I stained/painted the boards, which was a new experience for me because I’ve never worked with stain before and it runs very easily but since this is only for the garden its no big deal if there are a few unsightly blobs.
Raised bed square and leveled in the garden ready for planting.
I’m hoping to get three more of these raised beds installed and then goodbye to massive turnings of soil in the spring and hopefully less sore backs from extreme stooping and bending. The new bed is about half garden soil and half new soil – black earth, peat moss mix and manure from the nursery so it should be a lot easier to work with and provide more nutrients for the plants.