Marbles

Well the wedding is over and everything went wonderfully. Jen and Phil made a beautiful bride and groom. I’ll post pictures when I get them. Jen had a photographer and we had a friend of the family taking pictures so I didn’t even try as I didn’t want to spoil the day having to worry about that part of it. What a mad run around though. I made the church five minutes before the ceremony was supposed to start (well before the bride). Truly a scramble trying to get there but more of that later.

I have a September swap that needs to get done but because of the wedding I’m running a bit behind. I’m almost done, just the washout tomorrow after it batches overnight but I thought I’d post a couple of pictures of the process just so I could have something to blog about.

The first part of getting the material ready was to dye it Dharma’s lemon yellow – MX-8G. This is truely an almost neon type of yellow. To bright for my taste but it does give some neat results depending on what you use it for.

The next step was to wrap the fabric around some glass marbles and tie them off with rubber bands. I started out with the flat type of marbles that people use in aquariums and vases but I ran out after two bags so then switched to round marbles.

Marbles in cloth held in place with rubber bands.

Marbles in cloth held in place with rubber bands.

The idea of tying off the marbles is to create a resist with the rubber bands. I’ve done this before. What I did last time was to just plunk the whole thing down into a vase and fill it with dye. When the piece came out and the rubber bands removed I had a purple piece of cloth with rough circles of the resisted colour. This time around I wanted to try dyeing the top of the marbles one colour and the background another.

I decided the easiest way to do this was to set the piece of cloth onto a plastic lid and apply the dye. As I was arranging the material I realised that it wasn’t going to work exactly as I’d imagined. Somehow I pictured in my mind applying the dye to the top of the marble and then squirting dye onto the fabric below the marble. This is all good but what I didn’t think of was how do you prevent hundreds of marbles from touching each other and the underlying fabric? Anyhow I tried standing the marbles up as best I could.

Fabric placed on a plastic lid with marbles on top as best I could.

Fabric placed on a plastic lid with marbles on top as best I could.

Next I applied mixing red MX-5B to the tops of the marbles.

Marble tops applied with mixing red MX-5B

Marble tops applied with mixing red MX-5B

After applying the red I put purple on the background fabric. The purple is one I created from a mixture of the mixing red and colbalt, it’s a nice deep purple but I’m not sure what it will look like when it hits the yellow.

Purple dye applied to the fabric background.

Purple dye applied to the fabric background.

I re-applied a bit more of the red to the tops of the marbles to try and re-inforce the colour as the purple did hit the tops somewhat. It should be interesting to see how it all washes out. I’ve used the lemon yellow and purple before and because the yellow looks almost neon it does some neat things to the purple but having said that I don’t think I’ve used this colour of purple with the yellow so we’ll see. Also the purple is not as saturated as it was when I did the low water immersion piece, it might not be that purple. I figured the tops of the marbles would turn out an orange colour because red and yellow give orange but who knows. Regardless, I’ll have yellow rings on the fabric from the rubberband resist.

Karen

Advertisements

4 responses to “Marbles

  1. I can’t wait to see the final results. It should be really interesting. Judi

  2. Wow, Karen – I can’t wait to see how this turns out! What a lot of work, but I’m sure it will be amazing!!

  3. That sure is a lots of marbles. I know what you mean about taking forever to get them all on. Can’t wait to see your final results.

  4. I can’t wait to see how this turns out. I used the marbles when I did some discharge dyeing (but not nearly as many as you!), and was very pleased with the results. You can see them here if you’re interested: http://andicrafts.wordpress.com/2008/07/22/finally-the-bleach/
    Andi

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s