I have a couple of pictures to post. The first is the piece of fabric that I test-dyed yesterday using the Bark, Chocolate Milk and Black. This was the piece with the soda ash sprinkled on it.
The soda ash did concentrate the colour on the fabric so you do get a bit of a pattern, very fine. I have to admit that I didn’t like this piece because of the Chocolate Milk. I had my misgivings about it but figured that the chocolate milk colour would be mostly covered up by the other two but I was wrong. It also doesn’t really match the quilt.
For some reason my camera didn’t like taking photos of the backing so it looks washed out and the Chocolate Milk colour doesn’t really show on this screen. I didn’t like the mottled look of it so decided to try another piece just with black and a darker brown hoping to get a more solid colour. This time I just did it in a vase – parfait style.
The black looks more like a blue next to the white areas on the fabric. I’m wondering if I’d be better off using a black that’s more reddish based. I get a feeling I could be doing up a lot of samples before I’m satisfied but I think I’ll just go ahead and do the Black and Tobacco but use a Better Black and hope for the best. These one yard test pieces cost me about $5 a pop.