Well I finally had a go at dyeing up some wool using one of the Easter egg kits I got on sale last year. I think I ended up paying 25 cents or something like that. LOL, it’s taken me that long to get up the nerve to use the dye.
I pre-soaked the wool top in some water that had a bit of vinegar added to it, I’d tell you the amount but it was more like a glug. I let that soak for about 30 minutes then added the wool to a pot and put it on the stove to simmer. When the wool was steaming I and the two grandsons added the dye tablets to the wool along with a couple more tablespoons of vinegar. I let the wool steam away until all the dye was taken up, then let it cool and rinsed it out.
Here are a few pictures of the wool being spun and a picture of a Berkley’s fish line counter that I jury rigged to the base of a candle stand. I ran the yarn through this as I was winding it into a yarn cake. The cake was a bit too firm so I rewound the yarn but the counter did the trick and it only cost $13.99 at the outdoor store.
Here’s another little item I picked up from the thrift shop, it’s a sock loom with dvd and book. I don’t need a loom to make socks in fact I can knit faster than using this loom but it struck my fancy to give it a go. I guess I was reminiscing about the little wooden cork tool that I used as a kid to make those circular tubes of wool that then got sewn into placemats.
As I expected it’s easier for me to knit socks but it’s been interesting to try this out and if you can’t knit then it’s an alternative.