Well I spent about half of the morning and all of the afternoon working on making the appliqued leaves for the borders. I pinned up one border to show what it looks like and I’ll finished the rest of the borders later on tonight and call it a day as my back is pooched. As painful as it was to make the leaves – 118 of them – I must say that the border does look spectacular with them on it. The real challenge I guess will be to figure out how to sew the leaves down. From what I can gather on the Internet a machine blanket stitch is the way to go. I have a feeling it’s going to be a couple of days worth of sewing.
I prepared the leaves by cutting out templates from freezer paper and then ironing the freezer paper cutouts onto the wrong side of the fabric. I cut out the templates leaving a 1/4″ border and then applied spray starch with a paintbrush and then ironed the applique. I picked up this method of doing the applique from a tutorial created by Joanna Figueroa from Fig Tree & Co. The Sew Mama Sew website hosted the tutorial and it can be found here: The Starch Method