Scraps of Time…day 16.

I have developed a loathing for little itty bitty leaves. I’ve finally finished sewing all the leaves on the quilt – I think. I guess it depends on whether or not I want to fill in the corners a bit after I finish sewing down the last of the vine in the mitred corners. I took a day off after cutting out all the leaves because of my back and now I’m regretting it because that extra day might be the one I need to get this quilt finished on time for mailing out to Edmonton, oh well.

On average each leaf took about 4-5 minutes to sew down. Of course there was extra time for all those mishaps like broken threads, bobbin changes etc, etc. It’s been a pretty intense couple of days but at last the vine border is finished or will be after I work on the corners. I still need to put a final border on the quilt, piece the backing and then layer the top, batting and bottom together. Then I have to quilt the whole thing. Looking at the blocks I’m just going to do a quick and dirty job of using the walking foot to quilt rows and rows. The hard part, once again, will be quilting the leaf and vine borders.

Once the quilting is done (please let it only take a day or less) I have to attach the binding and sew it down. I’ve never sewn a binding for a queen-sized quilt in one day. I’m not sure I can do it. Each border will probably take me at least 2 hours maybe more; I’m hoping my elbows and fingers hold out. The quilt needs to be at the FedEx depot by Tuesday at 5:00 pm to make Christmas, if not the back up plan is to finish the quilt, take a picture and say, “It’s in the mail”.

cut thread
Eeek! Yes that’s a single cut thread in the fabric done when trimming thread. Kind of amazed I only cut through one thread of the material but disgusted with myself that I did it at all. Lets hope the Fray Check works.

leaves and vine
Close-up of the leaves and vine applique, done with invisible thread.

blocks with borders
A picture of the blocks with the leaf/vine boarder attached. I keep taking these pictures at night and the photos look like crap. I still have to sew the vine down in the corners and attach another darker outer border before layering the quilt together. Bonus for the backing is that I actually ordered backing material at the same time I ordered the kit. I’d forgotten all about it and found it when looking for backing material stashed in my closet. Lets hope I ordered enough.

Karen

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s