Scraps of Time…Day 17.

Well I’m not where I was hoping to be at this time. The game plan was to be almost finished the quilting and I haven’t even layered the quilt together 😦 Last night saw me spending time sewing down the vines in the mitred corners and then realizing that yes I was going to have to add more leaves to fill in the empty space there. I ended up sewing down an extra 14 leaves. I must say that it was worth the effort because it really was the finishing touch for the borders. I guess when the instructions called for 120 leaves even though 110 are pictured there was a reason. Although the pattern shows 110 leaves I ended up with 126, go figure.

And because I couldn’t decided which picture to post of the corners here are two:

corner of border

leaf vine border

So here is a picture of the finished quilt top hanging over the bannister. It’s all done and just needs to be quilted now and the binding sewn on.

quilt top finished but unquilted

Of course because I’m in a time crunch the next item to go wrong is the backing for the quilt. I was so happy to find the backing and I still am but when I looked at the yardage requirements on the pattern I had an oops moment when it called for 8 5/8 yards of backing. I only ordered six yards, I mean I’ve never had a queen-sized quilt that calls for more than six yards before so usually it’s my go to number. The quilt is bang on at an unfinished 87″ x 98″. The six yards cut in half and sewn together minus the selvages comes out to 88″ wide not enough to use and have extra allowance for quilting shrinkage. I did think of taking some extra off the length but there isn’t enough so I guess I’m going to have to see if I have enough leftover fabric to somehow piece a border to add in some width and maybe hope after the quilting is done and the binding applied that nothing shows.

Another thing is the batting. This really is an odd-sized quilt because my queen-sized batts are 90″ x 108″. Again that gives me 3″ divided by two so 1.5″ extra allowance on either side. I’m going to see how the quilt fits the batting before deciding if I need to add any. I might just quilt the blocks and then make the decision whether or not to add extra if I need it. All in all a pain and I’ve pretty well given up on getting this done and out the door by Tuesday.

Karen

Advertisements

2 responses to “Scraps of Time…Day 17.

  1. Very beautiful quilt! I have also had problems where I’m short on fabric for the backing, somehow piceing the back can really add to the finished quilt, as if it was always intended! Batting is also the kind of thing that I collect pieces left over from borders. You may try picecing more around the edges, I think there is a tape you can use to abutt the pieces of batting together.

    • Thanks for the tips I’ll remember them. I didn’t realize there was a tape for abutting the batting together that would have come in handy since there has been several times where I’ve needed it.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s