Category Archives: Snow dyeing

Same Dye Different Effect….Snowdyeing

Well I finally got around to dyeing up a couple of pieces of material using snow. We have a swap coming up in March and since the weather has been all things weird I decided it’d probably be a good time to do it now while we still have some.

The material used was P&B dyer’s cloth and the size of the pieces were 1 yard each. I made up three different dyes using a strength ratio of 1 tablespoon of dye to 1 cup of water.

From Dharma:
1. Navy
2. Butterscotch
3. Burgundy

I used the same method of snow-dyeing that I always use – presoak material in soda ash, wring out and arrange tightly scrunched up on a rack in the sink. Layer about 4 inches of snow over top, apply dye and let melt. After the snow has melted I then put the material into a plastic shoebox container and float it in a sink of hot water for as many hours as I have patience to let it sit until I rinse and wash it out.

Snow-dyed fabric using Navy, Burgundy and Butterscotch from Dharma applied in a blob pattern to cover snow.

Closeup of an area of the above fabric.

I had some left over dye so thought I would try applying it in a spatter pattern over the snow. I didn’t bother taking any photos of this because I’ve already blogged it before but basically for the first piece I squirted out big blobs of dye onto the snow whereas on the second piece I just squirted lines of dye criss-crossing each other back and forth over the snow.

Snowdyed using Navy, Butterscotch and Burgundy in a random line pattern. There was a bit more burgundy left than the navy and butterscotch but this piece is mostly purple probably because the dye blended together better than the bigger blobs of dye in the first piece.

Closeup of one section of above material.

Nice fabric it always looks so good when it’s been snowdyed. It’s always hard to cut one of these pieces up because they look like a painting and it’s always better seeing all the different colours in the one piece. Might be interesting to try and make a Ricky Tims quilt out of one of them and see how it turns out.


Snowdyes and T-shirt

I did a few more snowdyes the other day and I also tried doing a t-shirt with the snowdye method. There have been a few girls on the forum who have had great success with these shirts so I thought I’d give it a try. I have to admit that the shirt I did wasn’t a success as far as showing the pattern you get with snow-dyeing but I like the way the colours turned out on it. Who would have thunk that Jet Black would turn out like this…

Jaquard’s Jet Black on t-shirt using the snowdye method.

Closer shot of the dyes.

ProChem’s rust brown

Mixing red and colbalt (MX-5B and MX-2G)

ProChem’s ultra violet

Close-up of the ultra violet separating out.


More Snowdyes continued…

Here are some pictures of the fabric I dyed the other day. My last post showed the fabric as it was being dyed and these pictures were taken after the washout and ironing.

Boysenberry snowdye, hoffman lawn. I’m somewhat disappointed with how this turned out. Kind of weird speckling of the dye. I did add some more dye after but I don’t think these spots come from that. The bit of blue dye powder didn’t really affect the boysenberry that much, I guess I needed to use more of it.

Lemon yellow and mixing blue the over-all spatter pattern. Nice muted piece of fabric like a spring green almost.

Lemon yellow and mixing blue with the larger blob pattern (see last post). This was the star of the three, fantastic piece of material. Fabric like this draws you back to dyeing, having you trying to obtain this result. It really looks good in person. The fabric gives me an idea of trying the same technique but with just the blue to try and create some fluffy clouds.

The last couple of pictures are some material that I just received in the mail from Thousands of Bolts. These two fabric are from Kona Bay fabrics. You can order six yards in the priority envelope and that’s what I did. I was thinking of using the floral for a quilt backing, it wasn’t until after the order I realised that all six yards should have been floral and not the four I ordered. I guess I’ll have to get creative and use the other matching two yards as well in the backing.

Kona Bay fabric, it has some gold metallic in it.

Close-up of flowers. I have a weakness for the Kona Bay line of fabrics.


More Snowdyes…

Well we had a nice fluffy snowfall the other day so I did a few more snowdyes. They are batching right now but I thought I’d post some of the before pictures and then I’ll post the fabric after it’s been washed and ironed.

Dharma’s Lemon Yellow and ProChem’s Mixing blue.

After snow melt.

Lemon Yellow and Mixing Blue but in a more intense pattern.

Whoops, to much yellow, it’s gone right through the snow to the fabric.

After snow melt.

ProChem’s Boysenberry with a sprinkle of mixing blue powder.

After snow melt.

I have to admit that when I checked on the boysenberry piece I noticed that there were some white spots sprinkled throughout the piece. Since there were only a few and they were very random I took some left-over dye and covered them up so we’ll see how it washes out.

The two pieces of lemon yellow and mixing blue were an experiment to see what difference the dye pattern would make when the snow melted. It’s very noticable and I haven’t spread it out so we’ll see how it goes, always a surprise.

After I squirted on the yellow for the second piece I noticed that it went right through the layer of snow directly onto the fabric and I was worried that I’d have these very intense yellow spots but they seem to have diffused somewhat.