Well it’s done and in the FedEx office ready to be picked up in about 10 minutes. I had my doubts about finishing this quilt before the December 23rd 5:00 pm pickup time. Lets just hope it actually does make it out to Edmonton and that Jonathan does pick it up.
Extra material being added to the backing to get the needed width.
Quilt layered together and being pinned.
The two shots above were actually from day 17 but I took them after I’d already blogged. I was pretty low after having blogged thinking I’d never get the quilt done in time since I was a whole day behind in my schedule but somehow I got over that hump I don’t know why. My husband helped me with laying out the quilt and we did a pretty good job of it. The width was really tight as the backing matched the quilt top exactly so we fiddled around a lot trying to match the sides evenly.
Here is a shot of my MegaQuilter and the quilt in it. I spent most of the day – about 8 hours quilting. I quilted diagonally through the blocks with a walking foot so fairly fast with lots of short pivots at the ends. Then I made the decision to quilt along the borders and along the vine with the walking foot as well. I didn’t bother with the leaves although it bothered me but I was in a time crunch so made the decision to leave them for later if I had time.
All through this project I’d been very careful when transporting my pin container making sure it was closed when not in use. The only time I forgot to do this was the other night when I was layering the quilt. Well wouldn’t you know it as I grabbed the camera to take the picture of the quilt in the machine I also grabbed the lip of the pin container. I looked down and saw the empty container.
Then I saw this. Of course this only happened because I had the extra time to pick the pins up off the floor, don’t you know.
Attaching the binding with the walking foot.
Back side of the quilt after the binding had been trimmed. This shows the extra fabric added to the quilt, most of it has been trimmed away. At this point I’m hoping the light fabric will be hidden by the binding.
The binding has been sewn down by hand. I spent 3 hours at night and then the next morning working another two hours before I finished. It took me a lot less time to sew the binding then I’d figured on so I was pleased. This shot shows a little extra fabric that didn’t quite get hidden. I had only two spots about six inches long each so it worked out fairly well.
I finished the binding this morning at 10 am so figured I’d have time to quilt around the leaves in the border. I’m really glad I had the time to do this. It may not have been the most pretty job but it looks tons better with them quilted than not quilted. It really made the leaves pop and secured the loose batting.
Finished quilt on the bed. I finished at 2:00 pm and got the parcel in the FedEx store by 3:00 pm and it’s supposed to go out at 5:00 pm.
On the label at the back of the quilt I renamed the quilt “Never give up, never surrender”. At night on day 17 after feeling like I was never going to get the quilt finished I rallied somewhat and that phrase popped into my head – “Never give up, never surrender”. Galaxy Quest is a fun movie that’s a spoof on Star Trek. Throughout the movie during all the action scenes when the going gets tough the actors are all saying “Never give up never surrender”. I don’t know why it popped into my head but all last night (when I’m sitting there sewing binding at 12:00 am with a headlamp on) and today when I was feeling sore and tired I’d just say to myself never give up never surrender, you can do this. I then got to thinking that’s not a bad phrase for life and a good name for a quilt. When things get tough don’t give up just keep going.
YES!! The quilt is done and on it’s way!