I’ve been busy since the last post working on two new lap quilts. One is a nursery quilt for my younger daughter who is expecting in December and the other is for one of the kids for Christmas, I don’t know whom yet.
The first is made from a bundle of fat quarters I bought on sale from Hancock’s of Paducah. I thought these were cute and I’d make something out of them but couldn’t decide on what to do so I ended up using the free quilt pattern that Clothworks put out that goes along with the fabric.
I had a real chore of drafting out all the pieces onto the fat quarters in an effort to squeeze out every last inch (literarily). As it was I had to fudge a few blocks and change up the colour scheme to make things fit. I had no extra material left over at the end and even had to sew a couple of pieces together to make up one sky piece of a block.
I was lucky that my fat quarter bundle had 15 fat quarters in it instead of the 12 it said it had on the label. I’ve dyed up some avocado to make a border and I’ll probably fussy-cut some houses out of the border fat quarter to try and make them stretch. I could have ordered more fabric but just couldn’t bring myself to pay the shipping again.
The next quilt I made came from a tutorial on the Missouri Quilt Company website. I believe it’s called stack and whack and the quilt uses Kansas Winter turnovers. The outside border is some material I had in my stash. This was an easy quilt to put together.
The only problem I had with it is that I used black as my background fabric and because of that some of the black turnover pieces that had little colour in them faded into the background. I believe this is called the “missing tooth” effect so I ended up ripping out six of the triangles and then replacing them.
I need to finish quilting these two and then on to the next projects. I’d love to have a little quilt for each of the kids for Christmas so we’ll see how it goes.